- The Owner is committed to bringing You information tailored to Your individual needs and recognises the importance of protecting the privacy of personally identifiable information collected about our users.
- You agree that the Owner may collect, collate, process and/or store Your personal information (as this phrase is defined in the ECT Act) provided by You during the registration process referred to in clause 8 of the Web Site Terms and Conditions (“Collect”) for, amongst other things, the purposes of (i) verifying your identity, (ii) providing You with access to the Web Site Content, (ii) customer relations, and (iii) conducting research.
What personal information is Collected?
- The Owner may Collect personal information that may include (without limitation), Your name and e-mail address, information relating to Your race, gender, ethnic or social origin, age, well-being, disability, personal opinions, views or preferences.
When is Your personal information Collected?
- Personal information may be Collected in several ways.
- Some personal information may be Collected when You register on the Web Site, during the carrying out of demographic research, or when you participate in any promotions, competitions or surveys held on the Web Site.
- You acknowledge that promotions and competitions on the Web Site may be sponsored by third parties, or may be co-sponsored by the Owner together with third parties. You agree that some or all Your personal information may be shared with such third party.
How Your personal information is used?
- The primary goal in Collecting Your personal information is to provide You with a better online experience, which may include, interactive communications, online shopping and other services.
- Your personal information may be used to:
- deliver to You more relevant and targeted content and advertisements, such as banner advertisements;
- conduct research related to demographics, interests and online habits;
- compile profiles for statistical purposes. You agree that the Owner may trade with those profiles and statistical data. While the Owner will attempt to ensure that the profiles or statistical data cannot be linked to You, the Owner does not guarantee that third parties may not be able to link such profiles and statistical data to You. You hereby indemnify the Owner against any loss, liability, expense, claim, penalty or damage suffered by You, whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising from or in relation to any third party being able to link such profiles and statistical data to You.
With whom is Your information shared?
- While the Owner will attempt not to disclose any of Your personal information to third parties, except when we have your permission or in the legitimate business interests of the Owner, the Owner guarantees that Your personal information will not be shared with third parties without Your consent.
- Your personal information may also be shared under the following circumstances:
- where the law requires that the Owner disclose Your personal information;
- to monitor web traffic: web servers serving the Web Site automatically collect information about pages You visit. This information is used for internal review, to tailor information to individual visitors and for traffic audits. This information (as well as information from third-party market researchers), on an aggregated, anonymous basis, is provided to advertisers advertising on the Web Site. Should You provide personal information online as part of an online advertising promotion or in order to access a third party service, such information may be provided directly to the advertiser or the third party concerned;
- Promotions: many promotions offer opportunities to request additional information from sponsors or third parties. When You request more information about a particular promotion, Your e-mail address may be shared with the sponsor of that promotion;
- Online shopping: if You make a purchase from an online store or merchant, the information obtained during Your visit to those stores (including tracking information, cookies, credit card number and contact information) is provided to the merchants. This is to enable transactions to take place;
- Marketing purposes: if You expressly consent to us using your personal information for marketing purposes, You agree that the Owner may, from time to time, share Your personal information with any of its affiliates, subsidiaries, holding companies, partners, or third-party providers for the purposes of sending You marketing-related announcements related to the products, goods and/or services made available by the Owner on the Web Site. You may at any time opt out of receiving such marketing-relating announcements;
- Third parties: online merchants providing services in association with the Owner have separate privacy and data collection practices. You agree that the Owner has no responsibility or liability for third party policies. For more information regarding the merchant, their store, and their privacy policies, return to that store’s home page and click on the appropriate link;
- Editorial purposes: Your personal information may be used by the Owner for editorial purposes. For example, this may include information You provide during an online survey conducted by our editors.
- Legal: the Owner may also disclose Your personal information in special cases, where the Owner has reason to believe that such disclosure is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against a party who may be breaching the Terms and Conditions or may be causing injury to or interference with (either intentionally or unintentionally) the Owner’s rights or property, other users, or anyone else that could be harmed by such activities; and
- For statistics and advertisement purposes: the Owner may perform statistical analyses in order to measure interest in the various areas of the Web Site (for product development purposes) and to inform advertisers as to how many consumers have seen or “clicked” on their advertising banners. The Owner also uses demographic information to allow advertising banners on the Web Site to be targeted, in aggregate.
What are cookies and how are they used?
- The Owner may place a “cookie” on Your browser to store and sometimes track information about You.
Use of IP Address
- An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to a computer whenever it is connected to the Internet. The Owner also logs IP addresses, or the location of computers on the Internet. The Owner collects IP addresses for the purposes of system administration, to report aggregate information to our advertisers, and to audit the use of the Web Site. The Owner does not ordinarily link IP addresses to personal information, which means that Your session may remain anonymous. However, the Owner cannot guarantee that this will always be the case. For example, it may be necessary to identify a particular user when it is necessary to enforce compliance with the Terms and Conditions or to protect our service Web Site, customers or other interests.
- The importance of security for all personal information associated with You is of the utmost concern to us. While the Owner exercises great care in providing secure transmission of Your personal information, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be totally secure. The Owner cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to, or from the Owner’s Web Site.
- The Owner may periodically send e-mails to You about services, products or promotions offered by the Owner and its advertisers to the e-mail address provided by You.
Responsibilities under the Protection of Personal Information Act
The Company will abide by the conditions imposed by (POPIA-2013) for the lawful processing of personal information
- We will be accountable and ensure that we comply with the conditions of (POPIA-2013)
- That all personal information will be processes lawfully and in a reasonable manner that will not infringe on the privacy of staff, customers, suppliers, third party partners and visitors.
- That we obtain the full consent from all our staff, customers, suppliers, third party partners and visitors to collect, process, store, delete their personal information
- That only when absolutely necessary for the fulfilment of the Company’s responsibilities to its staff, the law and its customers, The Company will share the
- personal information of an individual.
- That we will only collect, process, store and delete personal information that is required by the business to either carry out its normal responsibilities or fulfil its legal requirements
- That we will only collect the personal information of an individual or juristic entity from them directly.
- That the Information we collect, process, store or delete is for a specific purpose, is explicitly defined and has a lawfull purpose related to legal and business requirements.
- That we will not keep information beyond its necessary retention period
- That we will destroy personal information we are no longer required to keep
- That we will only process personal information as per our legal requirements or necessary business requirements
- That we will ensure that all personal information we have is complete, accurate, not misleading and updated where necessary
- That we have documented, the processing operations of all personal information
- That we will notify our staff, customers, suppliers, third party partners and visitors,
- What personal information we have of theirs
- The reason for why we require this information
- With whom we need to share this information
- Our assurance of the safe guarding of this information
- Any leak of their information
- How to request for details on what information we have of theirs
- How to request a correction, change or deletion of their information
- That we will have processes documented and in place to allow for staff, customers, suppliers, third party partners and visitors to enquire about the personal information we have of theirs and or to make a complaint regarding the collection, processing, storage and deletion of their personal information
- That we will take every precaution to ensure the protection of all personal information in our care including instigating disciplinary procedures against any staff member that fails to abide by these policies and procedures.
- That we have ensured that our systems on which we keep personal information is secure
- That, should there be a breach in our data security, we will inform the relevant individuals as well the Regulator of said breach